How to Hire Custom Outdoor Kitchen Builders for Your Home
Hiring a top team of custom outdoor kitchen builders is the best way to get the outdoor dining space of your dreams. Here at Landscape Solutions & Design Inc., we have experience building kitchens big and small. Whatever you’re looking for in an outdoor living space, we can help you create it.
How to Design Your Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
Outdoor kitchens come in all shapes and sizes. Yours could be as simple as a grill and small countertop on a patio. Alternatively, it can be extremely large, maybe even larger than your indoor kitchen, and complete with multiple features such as:
- Grill surface
- Stove top
- Normal oven
- Pizza oven
- Convection oven
- Countertop space
- Ice maker
- Freezer/Ice chest
- Small appliances (juicer, blender, coffee maker, etc)
- Pantry or other storage space
- Water features
Basically, your kitchen can include anything you’d like. Almost anything you see in an indoor kitchen, they make for an outdoor kitchen as well. In most cases, you’ll have multiple options for every feature.
So, how do you decide what you want in an outdoor kitchen? It can be easy to feel overwhelmed with the options for outdoor kitchen appliances and features.
When we meet with clients for the first time, we start with three basic things:
- Aesthetics: How do you want the space to look and feel?
- Function: How will you most often use your outdoor kitchen?
- Budget: What is the price range where you feel comfortable for this project?
The best outdoor kitchen is going to hit the mark on all three! It will look beautiful, be perfectly functional for your needs, and fall within your budget.
Providing Shade for your New Deck or Patio Kitchen
As we design your new outdoor kitchen, we’ll take your backyard’s orientation into consideration. Most backyards get a decent amount of sun, so it makes sense to have a plan for adding a little shade. This can make your backyard kitchen more user-friendly, even during the hottest days of summer.
In order to provide the shade you need to stay cool, even when you’re cooking over a hot grill, our two favorite options are:
Which is best for your patio kitchen? Essentially, it comes down to your budget and the protection you want from the elements.
Pergolas give you the more open-air feel. These structures don’t provide as much protection from rain and beating sun, but they also are extremely budget-friendly. You can also train climbing plants to grow on the pergola if you like that feel for your outdoor living space.
On the other hand, cabanas give you an enclosed roof. This means you can use your kitchen even if it’s raining, and you have great protection from the sun. You can even install a fan. However, this kind of structure is more expensive, and you do have to remember that roofs are not the best option for some features, such as a fire pit.
Hiring the Best Custom Outdoor Kitchen Builders
No matter what look and feel you want for your outdoor kitchen, you’ll need to find a trustworthy, competent team to work on your project. Here are a few tips for hiring a top outdoor kitchen designer in your area:
- Ask for references and reviews. Contractors should be able to provide references as well as show you a portfolio of their work. Don’t be afraid to reach out to past customers to ask about their experiences.
- Always work with a licensed, insured company. Building an outdoor kitchen is not a job for a handyman. Remember, insurance protects you from getting sued if there is an accident among the crew or any damage to your home or neighbors’ property during the building process.
- Make sure you feel completely comfortable with the design before you proceed. We use 3D design tools that allow our clients to get a real feel for what their final kitchen will look like.
- Work with a local small business. Big companies tend to have a few set-in-stone designs they push, rather than actually listening to the client and designing the perfect kitchen. In many cases, larger national companies also don’t know local zoning laws, and they may use impractical, cheap materials. Local is always the way to go!
- Ask for a contract that sets the price in stone before you start. We always work with our clients’ budgets and won’t give you a surprise inflated bill at the end.
Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions. Any custom outdoor kitchen builders worth your time will be happy to answer questions.
FAQs about Building an Outdoor Kitchen
Speaking of asking questions, we are happy to answer any you may have. Here are a few frequently asked questions we hear to help you get started.
Are there financial benefits to building an outdoor kitchen?
Yes! An outdoor kitchen tends to be one of the best backyard building projects you can take on, in terms of return on investment (ROI). Some estimates even note that you could see a 100-200% ROI. Fire pits alone can give you a 150% ROI, and right now we have a special going on where you can get $500.00 off a custom built fire pit (ends Dec. 31, 2022). Mention this promotion when you speak to us if you’re interested in learning more!
How much should I spend on my outdoor kitchen?
People spend anywhere from $1,000 to more than $20,000 when building a new outdoor kitchen. How much you spend should depend on how you intend to use this space. If you plan on using your new outdoor space every day, it makes sense to put more money into your budget for this project.
Do I need a permit to build my new outdoor kitchen?
In some cases, you need a permit for your outdoor kitchen. It depends on factors such as whether you are running utilities to the kitchen, if you are building a new deck for the kitchen, and the city where you reside. We’ll take care of the paperwork for you! Learn more about how we can build the perfect outdoor living space for you by clicking here. We’d love to meet you for a free no-obligation consultation.