Our Favorite Backyard Waterfall Designs for Every Budget
Here at Landscape Solutions & Design, Inc., we love creating backyard oases for our clients. One of the best ways to turn a boring backyard into a showstopper is to install a water feature. They create a huge splash (pun intended!) without breaking the bank. We have backyard waterfall designs to fit every budget and style, and would love to speak with you about your waterfall project.
Types of Backyard Water Features
Most people who want a backyard water feature think of either a pond or a traditional waterfall. However, there are many options you can consider outside of the norm. Here are a few of our favorite residential water features you can consider:
- Pondless waterfalls – these are great to save space of if you don’t want to maintain a large pond. The waterfall will disappear into rocks that look like a natural part of the environment. As an added bonus, pondless waterfalls can be safer for families in some cases.
- Koi Ponds with Waterfalls – if you love fish and wildlife this is the way to go! That said, keep in mind there are special maintenance requirements for koi ponds, or any pond where you introduce fish.
- Water Fountains – instead of a more natural waterfall, we can install a water fountain. These give your garden a totally different look, which is preferred by some homeowners.
- Gentle Stream-like Waterfalls – Imagine enjoying your morning coffee beside a babbling brook. We can design gently sloping waterfalls that look similar to small streams, rather than the gushing waterfall you may be imagining.
If you can dream it, we can design it! Our 3D design tools allow you to see how any of these types of water features will look in your backyard. That way, you can be sure you love it before we start building. Learn more about the types of landscape waterfalls here.
Benefits to Installing a Waterfall
Waterfalls don’t just look beautiful. There are actually a number of advantages to installing a waterfall. Here are our top three favorite benefits:
- Attract wildlife. Yards that are just large swaths of grass are actually not great for the environment. Adding a waterfall, along with native plants, can attract wildlife like birds and pollinators, which promotes a healthy ecosystem.
- Melt your stress away. Today’s world can be filled with stress, which is the understatement of the year. Work, family obligations, and more can all contribute to stress, which in turn can lead to heart disease, anxiety and depression, diabetes, sleep problems, obesity, and a host of other health concerns, according to Mayo Clinic. The natural sounds of a waterfall can help you relax. Add some comfortable patio furniture to your patio, and take some time for you.
- Add value to your home. People love outdoor living spaces. Adding a backyard waterfall can help increase your home value, as well as helping it sell faster. It will certainly be a strong selling point as potential buyers tour your home! Even if you are not considering selling anytime soon, our waterfalls are built to stand the test of time with proper maintenance. (Yes, we can help with maintenance too!)
Check out this article for more information about the benefits of backyard waterfall designs.
Maintaining Your Backyard Waterfall
As noted, you can hire us for all your monthly maintenance needs, including maintaining your backyard waterfall. That said, it is always beneficial to know the basics, in case you want to do it yourself.
Some water features are easier to maintain than others. However, basic maintenance of almost all water features require two things:
- Filtering out debris
- Maintaining water levels
Almost all waterfalls and other water features have some kind of debris basket inside a skimmer. The debris basket collects large items that may fall into your waterfall, preventing them from clogging the pump. You’ll need to empty it regularly to clear out any leaves, twigs, dead bugs, or other debris that falls into the water. Most water features also have some kind of finer filter to collect smaller particles and dirt that flow through the basket. These mats last a few years, but will need replacement if they get too dirty or if you start to see tears.
Waterfalls can lose water over time. Our systems work with the natural environment, but we can sometimes experience very hot weather and little rain. When this happens, you may need to add water. We’ll show you how high the water levels should be, so you can make sure to maintain it even between our visits.
Knowing the proper level also means you’ll notice leaks. Even though our work stands the test of time, as shown by our numerous 5-star reviews, leaks can happen as the ground settles or if plants’ roots grow in the wrong places. If you catch them early, waterfall leaks are typically pretty easy to repair by using more soil or rocks and removing certain plants.
FAQs about Backyard Waterfall Designs
We would be happy to answer any questions you have about building a waterfall. Here are a few frequently asked questions to get you started:
Is my backyard big enough for a waterfall?
Yes! Even if you have a small backyard, we can make it work with a pondless design or a small water fountain. You don’t need acres of land to have a beautiful waterfall.
How do you make a waterfall look natural?
We use plants and rocks to create a look that feels natural, if that’s the style you want. Before we start the build, we’ll show you backyard waterfall designs using our unique 3D programs, so you know exactly what it will look like with your landscaping.
Is adding a waterfall expensive?
We work with all budgets! During our initial consultation, we’ll talk about waterfalls at different price points so you can choose what is most comfortable for you. Click here to contact us today to set up a no-obligation meeting.